View Single Post
Old 09-21-2010, 11:41 PM   #273
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

The 72 blazer/jimmy frames are unique with having the rear bumper mount directly to the frame when the other years are like the truck mount. I've learned that all of the suburbans were also made like the 72 blazer/jimmy frame, but they are different. For those of us rust belt 72 jimmy/blazer owners, the burb parts may be a good option to repair the rear body mount area of the frame.

I got the suburban frame horns today and did a comparison with the blazer frame horns. The blazer/jimmy style is straighter with the frame then curves down after the rear body mount. The suburban style has a slight drop in the frame before the rear body mount, then curves down a smaller amount. It is also a different length between the body mount location and the end where the bumper mounts to.

These will still work for my needs though. I really just need to replace the sections that are corroded away and the burb style will work just fine for that. I just want everyone to understand they are not a replacement piece without modification. I'll get some pics up later showing the differences.

I got a tailgate on the way here from AZ. It's not perfect, but looked repairable from the pics.

I came across another gate at a swap meet last weekend. I could have had it for $50, probably less. It wasn't even rusted much, but had about 1/2" bow in it and the inner panel was banged up in a few spots. Really not that bad, but I just spent a bunch on a better one, so I walked away. There were not a lot of 67-72 parts there, even though it was a good sized meet. There was a tilt column, a tach dash, a couple ok doors for cheap, couple 67 grills, that's about it. I came home with one deluxe side marker and some garage decorations, pics later. But my wife enjoyed it and I might have a lead on a fender or some other parts from a local guy.

There were some nice 67-72 trucks there for the show and for sale also. One 69 blazer, nice rebuild with a soft top for $12900 I think. I think I got some pics of it somewhere.

Anyway, not really progress here, but some handy info on frame horns, and the promise of more pics later. I might get the frame welded up this weekend. I'm going to take a bunch of time off next week and see if I can get this pig back into a single pile of rolling parts again.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote