View Single Post
Old 09-26-2010, 01:02 AM   #281
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
very nice! I'm doing the same thing in my garage....
Nice, I can almost see the wall back there .

Here is a "How to" that I don't think I've seen before, maybe for good reason. How to rebuild 72 blazer/jimmy rear frame horns.

I've had 3 72 blazer frames, everyone was rusted at the rear body bushing mount. Kind of a hard part to come across, but I found out that suburbans all had a similar style. Not the same, but close, and they are somewhat plentiful because it's not tied to just one year.

So I started here.

First I cut off the horn section that was not rusted through. I cut right where the frame starts the downward bend.

Did a little sandblasting to get the rust off for easier welding.

Then using the bushing mount hole as a reference, I cut the burb frame section behind the hole. It was about 3/4" from the edge of the hole.

I beveled one of the frame sections to get a good root pass on the weld. I started by welding the inside of it at the top and bottom. This helps keep the frame section straight. Then I gring the outside of the weld joint down to the weld I just did. This is called back gouging, and ensures 100% penetration.

Then I marked the frame to cut off the rusted mount section. And then cut the new piece to match it.

hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote