View Single Post
Old 10-01-2010, 02:25 PM   #20
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

Re: Let's rebuild a 350 (maybe), PT.1

1) i don't know if it helps, but when i first took the valve cover to inspect (engine was still in test stand), i first saw the #4 exhaust rocker loose AND then noticed the exhaust pushrod was bent.

i then went to AdvanceAuto and got another pushrod and then tried to run the engine again(stupid, i know....) and it maybe ran for a second or two and then i tried to run it again and then i could not get it to turn over---in other words crank would not turn; i had thought then that the battery had run down.

i then had to go to work. So, about 8 hrs or so later i try running it again but notice that the radiator is low on water. So before even trying to start it, i add more water and that's when water started coming out the dipstick tube, pan etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERASER5 View Post
Which came first the chicken or the egg?

Did the oiling fail and cause the wreck or did the cylinder wall break and cause a hydraulic? We may never know. We do know that carnage happens and it sucks!

Silver lining time. Now you can get a Gen II roller block and vortec heads. Or do that LS swap you know you want. I'm great at spending someone else's money!

2) Actually, i am leaning towards rollers. Example:
http://www.jegs.com/i/GM-Performance...oductId=753961

a) As far as LS, i would consider it if i could find a shop that could install one for me quickly AND diagnoise and repair stuff quickly and accurately. OR find a complete turnkey system. All that being unlikely, i think i'll stick with gen 1+2 small blocks.

b) i think i might even take a chance on another, but new this time crate 350. i am a little disapointed at the situation because this seems to indicate poor quality----maybe. Or maybe it was just bad luck for me. But again, i have no idea what the previous owner did with the engine and how it was driven----i could tell he takes good care of his equipment, but his daughter, son in law and son do not appear to be responsible folks. And i can tell they all drove it.

As comparison, the spare 305 that sat in my garage for about 7 yrs, fired right up after pre-oiling and is now in the truck. This engine replaced the sick 350 we are talking about. The 305 is from a 78 malibu and runs like a top. That's 32 years, no rebuilds as far as i know. And the 350 based on paperwork is only from 96.

Actually, before making my next move, i have a few more questions concerning the valve train and maybe what caused all this...... i am getting a little better with engines.

Last edited by C-10 simplex; 10-01-2010 at 02:26 PM.
C-10 simplex is offline   Reply With Quote