View Single Post
Old 10-22-2010, 08:53 AM   #15
tucsonjwt

Re: Rust is getting worse!!!

I second the idea of getting a different bed.
I had a 73 LB C20 from Michigan with a rusted bed and I replaced it with a used 76 bed from a local Arizona junkyard. It is an easy task. In my case, I removed the bed bolts, disconnected all wiring and hoses attached to the bed, strapped the bed down to the frame, drove the truck (very slowly) to the junkyard, they had a forklift to remove the old bed, install the "new" bed, I bolted the new bed in place, hooked up wiring - done.
Just be careful of the bolt pattern - my 73 LB bolt pattern and bolt length did not match up with the 76 bed - the junkyard drilled new holes for me, since they "guaranteed" the the 76 bed would "match right up." I paid $450 for the 76 bed.
BTW - I drove that 73 for 21 years - paid $450 for the truck in 1981, and put about $4500 in repairs in it over 21 years.
You might be able to get a whole truck with a decent bed for $1500 and sell the rest of the truck for parts - maybe break even.
Another wild idea, wait until the rust is very bad and replace the bed with a small commercial flatbed. You can get a used one of those at an equipment yard for $500-$600 or less, and they are easy to sand off/repaint by hand and still look good.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote