Thread: Make it handle
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2010, 04:05 PM   #170
robnolimit

Wink Re: Make it handle

Good Day gents. This may be my last post till after SEMA and the Optima Invitational. So, I'll try to make it a good one. When you start a project, the first thing you need is a REALISTIC budget. how much are you planning on spending all together. The chassis/suspension/brakes will use up 20% or so of the budget. So, a 50k build gives you about 10k for chassis parts/labor. With this in mindI think there is a range, around 9k, where you really need to look at a new chassis. If your budget plan is less than this, work on the stock chassis. But if it is higher than that, it's time to look at a new chassis. Your stock chassis can be made to drive very well, but at some point you are waisting time and money trying to push it too far. So, set up a plan, and stick to it.
If you have a trailing arm truck, don't give up on it. They work great, they just need a bit of a tune up. Chevy built them to be trucks, and you want a cup-car, so a bit of work should be expected.
As to my A-Arm testing, I probably would be done till after SEMA. Caster angles of 7-9deg don't put any additional load on the ball joints. The first problem created is bumpsteer. When we tip the spindle back to get more caster, the steering arm raises, in relation to the rest of the suspension. To cure this you can, A)- Use an adjustableouter tierod end, such as a Baer-Tracker. B)- Use a custom center link to raise the inner pivit points, like in the new Hotchkis kit. Or, a combination of both. The testing i have done so far has shown me a bunch of bumpsteer with the stock parts anyway, so a fix is needed. by the way, ALL CARS BUMPSTEER some, as soon as the wheel turns, its a new ball game. Be ware of those who say they have NO bumpsteer, for they may not know what it is.
Roll cages. if you can take the look, do it. Here 's the chassis lesson for today. ---- 3D is better than 2D --- got it? Take a new cardboard box, and lay it out folded flat. Grab two oposing corners and twist. Easy isn't it? Now, open the box and tape it together. Try twisting it now. Harder? it has the same amount of cardboard. 3D is better. And if you are laying out your own cage, think triangles.
Have a great week guys, and wish us luck at the Optima Invitational.
robnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote