Thread: Timing question
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2010, 07:53 PM   #16
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Re: Timing question

Tick.....I meant to say "as much INITIAL timing". This is straight out of the MSD dizzy instructions:

Tip s on S electi ng an A dvance C urve
Use as much initial advance as possible without encountering excessive starter load.
• Start the centrifugal advance just above the idle rpm.
• The starting point of the centrifugal advance curve is controlled by the installed length and
tension of the spring.
• How quickly the centrifugal advance (slope) comes in is controlled by the spring stiffness. The
stiffer the spring, the slower the advance curve.
• The amount of advance is controlled by the advance bushing. The bigger the bushing, the
smaller the amount of advance.

What I did was set my initial at 18* and then select the proper advance lockout bushing so I'm still only hitting around 36* total. Once that was selected, I started testing difference spring combinations to get the correct speed and style of the curve for my application.

I am sorry that you will not be able to comment anymore Tick. In addition to you unsubscribing to this thread, I have had you banned from replying to any threads that will possibly make it look like you know more than I do.

For everyone else....I'm giving Tick a hard time because he is a walking hot rod Britannica
prostreetC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote