View Single Post
Old 11-25-2010, 10:56 AM   #35
HOTFUN

Re: Want to see something mind-boggling?

I agree with Frank and Jeff totally. Hot and Cold decribes it perfectly. I can't believe the prices either (not the Bonanza emblems, yes those were the cold part of the equation here) but I have witnessed this type of crazyness for years on eBay. If you watch eBay this weekend there will be about three times of those types of NOS pieces listed back on there as I would do if I had some of that NOS stuff hoarded and could part with them.
Example 1 was the 73-87 NOS GM bed rail kits about 6 months ago. I saw a set bring about $1575 that I was bidding on! I listed one of my spare NOS sets as did about 2 others within the next two weeks. Mine sold for $975, another sold for $1300 something and I remember seeing that same original guy that sold the $1575 set relist his from a no sale. It brought a high price too but nothing near his first listing sale. I can justify a somewhat crazy price on a rare accessory part for that last detail to finish off a perfect original survivor or highly restored truck. But come on, a plastic dash lens or even the door handles is a bit extravagent in my opinion for if not the vast NOS still out there still perfect original pieces that are everywhere even from low mileage take offs since millions of these truck all had them. You got to remember these bowtie parts were from a vast bread and butter worldwide used trucks produced from 73-91 and not some rare 1967 Camaro SS 396 hood insert part selling here.

Second example was NOS 64-67 original GM pickup fawn armrests. I had about 8 of these stashed that I had about $25 a piece in over the years. I saw a set of these on eBay two years ago bring $325! I threw my set on the next day and it brought $310 or so and then I sold a second set immediately with a buy it now at $295. Listed a third set and it brought $250. In the last year I haven't seen a pair sell for over $80. I even have bought some more NOS off there for $30 a piece. Hot and cold is right, you just got to be there when it's hot to sell and catch the "got to have it people" with the cash. The next problem is the people locally who have parts who then use this for the new "price line basis" in that one piece that sold for that on eBay price. Just like the Barrett Jackson bid price effects on the rest of the worlds cars. Well it takes time to bring the price back to what the quantity out there becomes apparent, the demand, and what the economy will bear. Or just how many crazy people can afford to have to have it! Ebay is an interesting place to buy and sell with millions of people from all walks of life connected by their computer for a single item. Mark
'72 Cheyenne Super K20 project
'73 Sierra swb 4x4 frame off in paint stage
'74 Cheyenne Super swb w/16k actual
'71 & 72 Cheyenne K10 4x4 swb's
'70 426 HEMICUDA conv SHAKER 4 sp Dana 60
'60 Impala conv 327 PG fac ac loaded 3rd owner
'72 GMC K2500 4x4
'59 Apache CST BBW fleetside swb 283
'73 ElCamino SS LS1 T56 true SS bucket tach
'76 ElCamino SS 52k survivor
'87 Grand National 41k True 2nd to last built in 1987.
'86 K30 454 SRW fleetside CA since new
'88 Trans Am GTA 39k bought new
2018 DEMON plum crazy @ 840HP! "Need for speed"

Last edited by HOTFUN; 11-25-2010 at 11:09 AM.
HOTFUN is offline   Reply With Quote