View Single Post
Old 12-08-2010, 05:10 PM   #52
BC Toy chest

Re: My Pro Street '56 GMC Pick'em Up

ezekiel said:

BC Toy Chest,

In post #35, the photo of your cool new battery box reveals something about the setup of your welder.

It appears that the polarity of the welder is backwards.

I was using flux-core wire on a MIG welder that setup for gas welding. It took me a month to figure out why the welds looked like spaghetti.

If you don't have a polarity problem then the shielding gas isn't doing its job.

Nevertheless, cool project Man!

Z

Hey ezekiel That is a result of ugly welding. HAHAHA, I have it set up correctly, and was using my gas I have good days and I have bad days still new to welding. This welder unlike some others came set up for gas and I did not have to reveres the polarity. Believe me I have been out of gas before and I know the difference with spitting and splater. My problem was trying to be sure I was getting good penetration while joining the two metals together at a 90 degree angle. The plates are only .125" thick but I was still a little intimidated by the thickness. But hey when I finished I threw it on the ground a couple of times and it didn't fall apart, Thanks for the input. I welded a bracket on my frame with Kabwe' s 220 mig welder and with far less experience then him and it was like the thing welded on it's own. When money allows I will get one it seems to make life easier.
Thanks for the copliment on my project btw.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=432758

Last edited by BC Toy chest; 12-08-2010 at 05:13 PM.
BC Toy chest is offline   Reply With Quote