Thread: Make it handle
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2010, 06:50 PM   #262
robnolimit

Re: Make it handle

Hi, chatting from Roanoke, Va. today, it's a blustery 22 deg. Brrrrr. hey, thats life. I'll be back in sunny So. Cal. soon.

Mech77 - I get the whole idea of wieght jacks and bags, for tuning, but the fabrication difficulty makes it tough. It would be more reasonable to build your mounts a 1/2" too far apart, and then shim to tune the ride. Once your dailed, you would change much.

Skoffice - Limiting straps may be a concern if the springs are really short. This is one of the reasons that I try to keep the springs longer and drop the truck in other ways. If the truck has the right swaybars on it, the sway bar should keep enough tension on the inside spring to stop it from falling out. If needed, the shock length can be adjusted to act as the travel limiter, but again, this may limit some suspension travel, butif the spring is that short, there's no spring travel out there anyway. I would only use a limiter strap as a last resort, but if thats your only answer, it's better than the spring popping out.

Tasians - Try Detriot/Eaton spring for the liner. Also, Speedway and JC Whitney. If you flipped the axle, you'll need a bolt in C-notch for clearance. As for centering the axle, you should be able to drill holes in the axle pad and U-bolt plates to accomplish this. Just remember to shorten the drive shaft. Moving the axle forward will actually help the handling.

My new project C-10 is at the shop, and I'll get some picts up as soon as I get home.
robnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote