Thread: Make it handle
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2010, 01:17 PM   #283
robnolimit

Re: Make it handle

52 Choptop, Yours is always a tough question. $$ vs performance. Mike is right on about the monotube style construction. Here's something to consider. The rear of the truck has about 1200 lbs on it, vs. about 2500lbs on the front. You didn't spec the type of ft. suspension, but the front weight is normal, so it's easy to get the right shock valving. Out back, 1200lbs is split on two sides, 600lbs each. Unsprung weight of leafs and axle is about 340 lbs. or 170 per side. At best, the unsprung weight is above 28%, VERY HIGH. And, I'll bet that the rear springs are too stiff (150 to 175 lb per inch would be ideal) If you want to test the spring weight, set the truck on level ground, measure the top of the wheel opening, then add weight (sand bags...) directly over the rear axle until the truck drops 1". Divide the weight added by 2 (two springs). Anyway, To get the rear to ride good, you will really soft compression and a med/firm rebound. The Bilstein inertia valve is good for this, as are the Romic adjustable shocks. If I were you I would buy a pair of really good rear shocks first, and see what you think. Because the front is more 'normal' the KYB is OK up the if you don't see thegain in the back. A lot depends on you'r driving tastes. Hope this helps.

Tony - when can I get some new Ride-Tech shocks to test on the 'Bullit? RTTC is comin' up you know? Hotchkis is comin hard for me, it's going to be a good season. Have a great chistmas bro.
robnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote