View Single Post
Old 12-26-2010, 09:05 AM   #62
383Ram

Re: Crossbred, 454 into an '85 Ram

Painting of the block. I used Cummins Beige paint on this. It will go with the whole color scheme of the truck. I think anything else other than black is going to be a PITA to keep clean so i might as well go with what looks good.

Installing the freeze plugs, funny story actually, do not use a socket that fits snugly on the plug. You WILL have a heck of a time getting the socket unstuck from the plug once its in and do ALOT of cursing--and possibly some broken tools. Use a socket thats a little loose on the plug--i knew this but got excited when i saw how nice the first socket fit---DOH!!! I use a little "Indian Head" around the freeze plugs---its just something i always do.

I then installed the screw in plugs. I like the "pretty" aluminum ones, LOL.

Next i installed the cam bearings (sorry the pic got all fubared so i can't show it). I then slid the cam in to make sure all was well and it turned freely as its supposed to. This is always a good idea to do in the pre build as one time I had a cam that was machined wrong on two bearing surfaces and it would not go into the block (won't mention the big cam companies name of course).

Sometimes I do things because I feel better doing so, this is one of them. Hard to see, but I radiused the oil hole in the rear main cap and smoothed out the rest a little bit. Does it help, who knows, but like I said, I feel better doing it.

454/4 speed, '85 Dodge Ram hybrid build in progress

454, PP heads, Dual 500 CFM cabs, 'Vette manifolds. First time out---spinning for half track

Slooowww build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=348050

Engine build thread at: http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326289

Last edited by 383Ram; 12-26-2010 at 09:10 AM.
383Ram is offline   Reply With Quote