View Single Post
Old 01-01-2011, 01:19 AM   #1
paintman

Lost my stovebolt virginity

Ok so I got your attention..........so first things first let me introduce myself. My name is Stan and I am from NJ. I have always wanted an old truck but because of limited fab skills and lack of time with my family obligations,I knew I would have to wait for a truck that had most of the grunt work already done to it.
So a couple of months ago I was in the local Tractor supply store here in town and in to the parking lot came rolling this red primered, really cool looking 46. Now instead of heading home like I should have I waited until the owner went inside and proceeded to go over to the truck and oogle. After a few quick walk arounds I noticed in real small lettering on the back of the truck that said for sale. So me being the impulse kind of guy that I am, I decide to go into the stor and ask the guy some questions.
He told me that he really did'nt want to sell the truck but it was part of the divorce settlement. He said the wife had it on craigslist for 10,500 but he would take 8,500.
Now since I have somewhat of a racing backgound I do know that there are some things to watchout for when buying a streetrod/truck. The owner told me that the truck had a 350/350 motor tranny from a 69 camaro. I went on to ask him how the truck was lowered in the front. He told me that the builder used a front end out of an 79 Amc Pacer. Now knowing the reputation of the Pacer red flags went up in my mind instantly. I asked him about the availability of parts. He assured me that the could still be found I would just have to take some time and look around.
I decided my next step would be to go home and sniff around on the internet and se what I culd find out about the Pacer front end. Turns out alot of old schoolers like using this front end because of its durability and the fact that it bolts right into a 46's frame.
Soooo.... after a couple of sleeples nights and with much hesitation I pulled the trigger and dropped the 8,500 and came home with a new toy. since the purchase I have been able to buy a complete rebuild kit for the front end with all the ball joints, bushings, and tie rod ends. I have come to realize that this knucklehead drove the truck around without a PCV valve, which probably explains the oil coming out from around the valve covers. I guess that does'nt matter much though as the plan was always to do a total tear down to go over everything, and then reapint the entire truck.
So I guess its time for some pice please feel free tor critque and give advice.

paintman is offline   Reply With Quote