Thread: Body side trim
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2011, 01:00 AM   #6
primrrd

Re: Body side trim

You can clean them, but the dullness that sets in is the anodizing.
Those moldings are aluminum and have a coating, like anodizing.
They are also surprisingly easily repairable of little dents and scratches too..

I restored a "big 10" that was about a 76 with the panel moldings that had a mustard colored insert paint color.

You can metal work the dents out and sand smooth then buff to a mirror shine, actually much more shiny than stock. I used a nice big balfor buffer,
but a bench grinder with 6inch buffs would work, too. (ust slower)
same buff wheels as you would use for stainless. Ive heard of people stripping the clear coating with paint stripper, but with the sewn buff and brown compound you can burn it right off in the buffing process. you will have to tape and repaint the center color. I used black going back by the owner request.... Now.. doing it this way- if you dont reclear it, the polished aluminum will fade. I used the same catalized clear (ditzler polyurethane back then) It looked great, like chrome! The guy who owned the truck decided he didnt like it so shiney, so we dulled it down with grey scuff pad and he was satisfied... funny thing is, he had a midnight blue TA that I painted for him later and we buffed all of the windshield, rear window and belt trim (normally painted black) the same way and kept it bright.. he loved it.

Short story, you CAN make it look like new with alot of elbow grease.. you could even strip and buff it by hand, but that would be a big job and alot o' rubbin without a buffer. (you could use a buff on a hand held drill, too)

Good luck man!
Edit... you know I remember I saw a product looking in a BMW catalog for my son's car... a product to brighten the anodizing.... it might be something to chek into...
http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp
check for auto exterior trim cleaning and care. this stuff requires sanding with 2000 grit and a flow on sealer/coating. Looks promising if yours aint to bad..
is is 60.00 skins.. heres what it says:
Restore oxidized aluminum trim. Simply wet sand using included remover and 2000 grit paper, then use the flow-on applicator to apply the water-based coating. Oxidized look disappears, leaving a shiny, anodized aluminum finish. Comes with instructional video

Last edited by primrrd; 01-09-2011 at 01:12 AM.
primrrd is offline   Reply With Quote