Old 01-30-2011, 02:06 AM   #13
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: 8.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmathes074 View Post
.http://www.hotrodlane.cc/Streetstories/81%20swap.pdf

That may have some helpful information in it
Man, I dunno…..Helpful information as to what not to do maybe. I personally wouldn’t follow his complete recipe. While he did do an extremely clean install, he went to a lot more work than ever needed to be done. There is no reason to cut the frame to make room for the 8.1L specific exhaust manifolds as any big block (396, 402, 427 & 454) exhaust manifold or header will fit an 8.1L. There is also no need to cut the frame for the A/C compressor as there are alternate bracket options (medium duty truck and RV) for the 8.1L that puts the A/C compressor up high on the driver’s side nor do you need to make room for the EGR valve at the firewall when you can simply remove it all together and have the ECM tuner toggle off the EGR portion of the calibration. 8.1L engines after 2003 didn’t even have EGR valves from the factory. You also do not need to run electronic throttle unless you want to deal with a big hassle and spend more money on parts. If you must have cruise control, yes…electronic throttle will get you that much easier.

Lastly, you do not need to use a gimmicky Dakota Digital tachometer adapter when all you really need to do is set your existing tachometer to 4 cylinder mode providing you are using an aftermarket tach. If running an OEM tach….you may need this hokie thing. MSD sells one as well.

Now this one is a true hack job.

Tonypaul,

What is that 8.1L out of? Looks like a 2001-2003 medium duty truck or Workhorse RV engine by the location of the water inlet, existence of an EGR valve and black valve covers opposed to bare aluminum. Nothing wrong with that….all years of 8.1L are good. 2004 and are a bit better though in terms of electronics (upgraded sensors, coils, etc).

As for the fuel consumption comments, my 6.0L Silverado 2500HD drinks just as much as my 8.1L Silverado 2500HD under normal driving while the 6.0L drinks even more when loaded.

Here are a few pictures I took at work of the last of the production 8.1L’s. 8.1L production ended with the 2010 model year.

Smaller coils on 2004 - 2010 engines.

Last edited by DirtyLarry; 01-30-2011 at 02:09 AM.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote