View Single Post
Old 01-31-2011, 01:37 PM   #374
lyrikz
PITbut

Re: Over 25 Years Later, Finally My 71 C-10 Truck Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
Thanks Scott. I guess the only thing I've done different is I've been doing the filler work on bare metal then spraying the epoxy over the panel. Someone told me to do it that way, don't remember who now.

I've come so far, yet there is still so much to do.

It depends on who you ask. I sandblasted everything, epoxied, then did body work.. Being that people have been putting body work on bare metal for EVER, im sure either way is going to be perfectly fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipaintgrt View Post
When I have body work areas, I spray with 3 medium wet coats of primer. Then guide coat (lightly mist with rattle can) with a dark color, then block with 150. If there are any problems you will see it while you are blocking the guide coat. After your issues are fixed, or if it blocks out OK, then recoat with 2 more coats of Primer. Guide coat it, Then block with 320. You should be ready for Paint. So now you will apply 2 coats of sealer, then your paint. Bare metal parts should be epoxy primed before you prime or do body work. Usually after they are sandblasted, then epoxy prime them. Epoxy primer is a good corrosion/adhesion promoter, but a very bad filler. If you have to sand Epoxy Primer use some wax and grease remover and wet sand it with 400 and it will not gum up the sand paper. Your build looks great. Good luck Scott
That is all good information. The ONLY thing i would add or change is the final grit being 320. If it is going to be a flat color like white or black, then i would make sure that 400 is the MINIMUM that you use. If you are going with a metallic paint, you will want it to be 600-800 grit. That way the metallics do not lay down in the sand marks.

Besides that, you have this thing pretty much NAILED!!!!

One other question. how is the floor in the garage holding up. Has it peeled anywhere? Before you did the floor did you ever have oil on the floor??? I really REALLY want to do that but want first hand experience.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=676047

My new YOUTUBE channel.. Videos of my truck and a current walk around.
Lyrikz74 Youtube channel DONE! SOLD!

My 1971 stepside build thread
My Build Thread UPDATED 6/11. DONE
and sold.
lyrikz is offline   Reply With Quote