View Single Post
Old 02-06-2011, 12:09 PM   #20
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Re: Metallic paint with a satin clear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
paint store dude is absolutely correct ... you WILL lose some of the metallic with a satin clear ... just by the nature of the "satin" sheen being more "milky" than a gloss/glamour clear.
This is absloutely true....Now, you may indeed like the results of your experiment, but the metallic will definately be "muted" some by the flattening agent...and the more you put on, the more pronounced it becomes. The metallic will definately still show, it's at a distance where you see the difference. You would need to spray-out a full gloss test card to actually see it for yourself with them side by side.

I haven't painted a car in years, but I do spray quiet a bit of "flat" lacquer on furniture and cabinetry. The flat we use is 15% gloss, which has a ton of flattener in it. The stuff looks like skim milk in the can, literally. As the coats build up, you can see darker colors turning gray. There is a point of "too much".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote