View Single Post
Old 02-07-2011, 10:01 AM   #397
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Over 25 Years Later, Finally My 71 C-10 Truck Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
This has been a great thread for learning , i don't know squat about painting other than rattle can.. Hell i thought the yellow was your final color and you were maybe gonna clear over it.

Thanks for the pictures with the different steps and explanation of the process.
Thanks, I was in the same boat not long ago. I learned from others on the board here, bought books and dvd's and learned. If I pass on some of what I learned, all the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Is the block you have on your bedside the largest one you have? The guy helping me with my paint got round and contoured blocks from NAPA relatively cheap. Put the paper around them and they worked great...especially the round one at all the body lines including the one at the top of the bedside...
I have a good assortment of blocks and used one that is 18" so far (my longest). I might get a 2' board also. On the contours of the body line I have a pipe that is about 16" long and 2" diameter. I'll use a smaller diameter next time, maybe 1-1/2" will work good.

If you are concerned because of what you see so far, don't be. This was my first time doing any significant body work and I knew going in there would be work to do. In a sense, I'm using the yellow as a guide coat also. After the next layer of primer I'm confident it will sand pretty flat. The hood only had a single coat of yellow. If there had been 2 or 3, I probably would not have gotten through it nearly as much. More primer will be delivered this week, so I plan on finishing what I started with the hood and bedside and respraying that and see where it leaves me.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote