View Single Post
Old 03-02-2011, 03:10 AM   #11
Rannos

Re: Just for fun 283 what would you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by impalaboy9 View Post
Ya dependability is key. Basically I just wanted a little lope out of the cam run the tunnel ram and vette valve covers for the look. It wont be heart stopping fast but my 64 impala is pretty dang quick so I got that department covered.
If sound and drivablitiy are more a concern then winning races I would look into one of the Comp Cams Thumpr series camshafts. Hydraulic or hydraulic roller. they work with moderate compression make decent power and you wouldn't have to zing the motor to 7,000rpm. A lil 9to1 283 with a set of the 390 holley's on a tunnel ram would be peppy and be decently dependable if your up to tuning dual carbs. Plus you don't have to run a huge stall converter either. I would run the 279 thumpr. Comp says stock converter is ok but recommends a 2000rpm stall for best performance. This set up will sound really nice give you a decent boost in power to low 5k rpm range and can be step up on most stock sbc heads as its under .480 lift. Also you can buy the complete cam kit (cam, lifters, springs, retainers and valves seals) for under $350. Pick up a set of push rods and either roller rockers or long slot stamped steel rockers and you would have a nice lil motor.
Rannos is offline   Reply With Quote