View Single Post
Old 03-11-2011, 01:57 AM   #212
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Re: Kabwe's aka Bam's build

Not much to report its just that after buying a flaming river column and installing the column in my truck I thought it was too long. I just did not like how far it was sticking out the firewall. I thought I could live with it but I couldn't take it anymore, so I decided to cut it up. It was much easier than I thought.
First I marked where I wanted the column to stop while it was in the truck. The tape line is where it will be cut.

I looked down the DD end when I took it out the truck and notice that the DD goes all the way down the column oh now this is easy. The bottom bushing seems to be held in by two dimples so I drilled them out. I can get the bushing out later.

I used a cut off wheel to shorten the tube. When I mark the spot with the tape I used a square to mark the cut line all around the radius of the tube and then taped it so that my cut was square.

I removed the bushing using a vise and two hammers.

I then used a hand file to smooth the edges of the cut and install the bushing and cut the DD at the correct length and I’m done. This is easy and I thought someone may need to do the same thing so I posted it.

I think I like it better now.

I was completely shocked at how easy this was it took all of 30 min and most of that was measuring.

Last edited by Kabwe; 03-11-2011 at 02:01 AM.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote