View Single Post
Old 03-13-2011, 05:04 AM   #10
slick copper

Re: Slick Copper's Build Thread

BTW ahead of time: sorry this one's turning out to be a book! Lots of memories here!

I'll have to find a pic of it, but it all got started when I was 13. My best friend's dad was getting rid of two old farm trucks. Both of them Chevy's one a 49 stepside, the other a 1970 C/10 with a 350 V8! Guess which one I picked?
Well, seein' as there was a snake curled up on top of the air cleaner of the 49 It also helped sway my decision. I only had to deal with a mice nest in the glove box and all kinds of wasp nests!
So I worked on it there forever until he told me that he was gonna have to get it hauled off if I couldn't take it home. After begging and begging my single mother to let me bring it home she caved in. I was 15 or 16 at that point. LONG STORY....After rebuilding the engine....twice....(I mixed up a couple of the main bearing caps and lost oil pressure on my way to school one morning)
Anyway my awesome autoshop teach let me bring it in, tear it down again and start over. After breaking it in again (with the entire class in the bed of the truck and me doing a burnout!) I drove it until I graduated and was looking for a job. Heading to church one rainy evening on a freshly paved road, some idiot decides to pull out in front of me. I missed him and hit another car waiting to turn onto the road he pulled out of, turned and t-boned her right in the driver door. As the frame twisted and metal crumpled the engine redlined, and i cut the key off just in time. We were both fine, just shakin up, but both vehicles were totaled including my c/10.
BTW it was a manual 3 on the tree lwb truck. All it needed was a paint job.
after having it towed home I pulled the doors off, engine, tranny, anything I thought was worth saving, and sent it off to the crusher, and started the search for something else to drop the motor into.
Found a 82 Z/28 camaro body for 800 dollars. Turned around two months later and sold it to a guy who had to have it, for 1 grand. Now my wife (her first car was a 91 camaro that she wishes she had and was totaled) wishes I had kept it. Unfortunately I didn't know her then.
Always loved the '67 trucks though so found a SWB and bought it for the same $800. Still have it, but it's rough. Only good things are the frame and front dog house. Never had time to work on it much and there it sits still at my mom's next to the barn, just waitn for someone......
Anyway then I meet the most amazing woman ever and she suprises me with the beauty you've come to know as slick copper.

1967 Chevy C/10 LWB Custom Optioned "big window truck" AKA Copper

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=452594
The story of how I got the truck:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=450939
Ole Smokey Build Thread 2002 Silverado 8.1L Crew Cab **SOLD**http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=618402
slick copper is offline   Reply With Quote