View Single Post
Old 03-17-2011, 03:46 PM   #31
2fast55

Re: Needed a new toy. Why a Blazer? Why NOT a Blazer?!?!

I have been working on the transmission, trying to build one that should last at least as long as any other part on this truck. There are some projects I am saving for later, but this is one of the things I only want to do once.

Emptied the case and got all my new parts ordered, and rebuilt the pump before I started on the internals. All new bushings, seals, thrust washers, and sprag roller assemblies. New red clutches and kolene steels, even though stock tan clutches will take a huge amount of power before they slip. I also machined the direct clutch piston down to add another clutch to the pack.

Hardened intermediate sprag race (on the right). This is the only part I've ever personally heard of someone breaking in a th350, so it got an upgrade too.

Got all the internals buttoned up and started on the valvebody. It was really gunked up and took forever to get clean. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out exactly which modifications I wanted to do, and which ones to leave out. I'm hoping I got it right, because I want nice firm shifts (firmer than stock), but I don't want it to slam every gear all the time like some high performance builds do. Now I just have to get a drain plug and temp sender bung for my pan and the trans will be done.

"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
- Albert Einstein
2fast55 is offline   Reply With Quote