View Single Post
Old 03-29-2011, 09:22 AM   #1
es67chevy

Starter turns when shifting from Park

Need some help to determine what is going on with the starter and my wiring. I have a brand new painless 18 circuit kit installed. I don't have the truck running yet, but I have it hooked up to starter, etc. When I turn the key to the 'on' position, I'm able to test lights, blinkers, air, etc without the truck actually running. However, when I shift the truck from park through reverse and neutral, it activates the starter briefly (auto on the column - van tilt column). I have a new neutral safety switch but suspect it may be the problem. I'm having a hard time figuring out how just moving the gear shift lever through the range of the neutral safety switch would activate the starter, but I'm definitely not a wiring expert. Currently, the column is not hooked up to the transmission. The rod is disconnected that goes to the trans. So its definitely related to something on or around the column. Anyone have any experience with a similar issue or have any thoughts to why power would be sent to the starter just by moving the shift lever through its range of motion? BTW, I did confirm I can turn the key all the way to start and it works as expected. If the column is down in drive position, the starter will not turn. If up in park, it will turn the motor over. Let me know if you need any additional details as well. Not sure what is relevant to my situation. Thanks!!!

1967 C10 SWB
383 Stroker/TH400
Brother's One Piece Power Windows
Shaved Doors, Markers, and Bumpers
4/6 Early Classic Drop
Rear Fuel Tank (49-52 Chevy Car Tank)
Surf Blue Paint

Bella Vista, AR (Arkansas for those that get the 'A' states mixed up)

My Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=330869
es67chevy is offline   Reply With Quote