View Single Post
Old 04-13-2011, 07:07 PM   #28
bighaas79

Re: 07 Silverado Tire PSI Monitor going crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLASSIC87' View Post
Your local dealer can turn the TPS off per your request... mine did anyways. I like my truck so much more now the TPS is disabled.
Actually they are not supposed to. The use of tpm sensors was enacted by the government, in a safety act, and is federal law. Disabling the tpm is akin to disabling the airbags or removing the catalytic converter. It's against the law technically speaking. Not to mention a huge liability. Should you get in an accident with the tpm disabled on your vehicle you can bet some crafty lawyer can use that to sue whoever disabled it and whoever had it knowingly disabled. So If you go to the dealer and they disable it per your request (technically they are not supposed to do it) but both you and the dealer can be held liable should something happen. However there is a loophole with the installation of aftermarket wheels that gets around this. When the gov. enacted this there were so many aftermarket wheels that were not designed to handle the sensors they got an exemption. How long that loophole will stay open who knows.

Now how often do you hear of someone getting in trouble for disabling? Probably never but it is a possibility.

Last edited by bighaas79; 04-13-2011 at 07:09 PM.
bighaas79 is offline   Reply With Quote