View Single Post
Old 04-18-2011, 10:54 PM   #12
chevylookin

Re: 5-speed "deep thoughts..."

So I just installed my WC T-5 from an 89 Camaro this weekend. I have great off the line speed and 2-4 are awesome. I swapped out the tailhousing when I got lucky at Pick ur Part in Wilmington LB and found a mechanical speedo. I just bought the whole tranny for $140. Still trying to find a suitable shifter that avoids hitting my bench but I mangled an old shifter for now. Also still trying to figure out a suitable tranny mount as the mount sits right above the E-brake crossmember and all that stuff on my 64 short/fleet. I will probably push back the E brake mount about 4-5 inches with some new cables and this & that.

Anyways, its a blast to drive now, nice and smooth even though there is some whining in 1-3 gears. Is that normal? I used Dex Merc ATF 2.8 quarts which I heard was the overall consensus. My real problem is (and I was warned by several) that with my stocker 230 L6 which is actually pushing probably around 150 HP right now, I CANNOT accelerate past approximately 78 mph. I hit the gas, and nothing. My final drive is .63:1 with 3:08's in the back. (Wishing I had my 3:73's when all this started, but they were grinded anyways) I am running I believe 27" tires in the back but my concern is the inability to accelerate much if any.

Would someone care to give me a quick laments description of the general theory of gearing real quick? Is my 5th gear slipping? Is it just through my gearing selection that it is physically impossible no matter how much more HP I put into this engine that the laws of mechanics will not allow this set up to go 100 mph? Not that I want to go that fast because fuel consumption is my main goal. Im taching at 2200 RPM at around 80 which is great, almost seems like the engine is idling as I tromp down the highway. But as soon as I hit a slight incline, back into 4th she goes. I heard that the stroker V8 Camaros used a 3:08 with the WC T5 back in the day sooooo....Either way, it has been a blast absorbing all the knowledge from you guys and I am happy with it either way. Definitely a better and more fun truck to drive.
chevylookin is offline   Reply With Quote