View Single Post
Old 04-25-2011, 12:09 AM   #1
lilpoindexter

Anyone ever put a T-5 in a Square body with a low hump?

So I'm putting a t-5 in my '78 short step side 250... (I know, I know...I should have put in a NV 4500 to handle the torque of the 250...)

Everything almost, sort of seems like it was designed to work together....the '78 trans mount even fits the t-5...It seems like I can either drill new holes in the frame, and move the trans support back about an inch, or fab up a little extenstion to keep the crossmember in it's current spot....BUT....

The top of the t-5 hits my low hump floor!

I like the bare metal floor of my truck, and wanted to keep it, but I can think of two solutions to my problem
1- Hammer on the bottom of the floor for clearance, and then put a rubber or carpet cover on the inside
2-Put a high hump in it

I really don't like the looks of the high hump, and I don't want to angle the trans more, since by using the stock crossmember, I can keep the same engine/ trans angle.

Any tips? Somebody out there has got to have done this before. How much clearance is need from the top of the trans to the bottom of the floor?

I still have the Camaro Tilted Bellhousing, but I'd rather not put in in, because it just doesn't look right...It's either some quality time with a BFH or a high hump.
Attached Images

lilpoindexter is offline   Reply With Quote