View Single Post
Old 05-02-2011, 12:17 AM   #5
DetroitDan

Re: 65 GMC questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by padresag View Post
your going to hear it anyway. 1/2 tons are not rated to carry that weight. I am across from a lumber yard and see jerks overloading their trucks everyday, rear bumpers almost dragging the ground. and you just love driving towards these a/h's at night with their lights hitting you in the eyes.
you want to overload a 50 year old truck whose suspension is more than likely already worn out. good luck. and I guess that you want this for your dump run truck because it will more than likely be cheap
ron
thanks for your input, but I'm not entirely sure we're on the same page. I should have asked if anyone knew what the original payload rating was for the 10 and 20. I also see people overloading trucks at the landscape depot, etc, and I always shake my head. But they are probably carrying far more than 1000 lbs too, likely more than 2000lbs. A ton is just really not that much weight. And I appreciate your point about it being a 50 year od truck. Who knows what it's been subjected to in the past. Being that old, if it does have a pretty low rating, then I wouldn't carry a full ton in it.

What I was referring to was peoples mistaken belief that a half ton truck can only carry 1000 lbs in the bed. I dont believe that is what the term half ton refers to. For example, modern 1 tons have around a 5900 lb rated carrying capacity, yet they still call them 1 tons. My 2004 1500 "half ton" had a 1500 lb payload and that was with coil springs too.

So to rephrase my question, if the truck is not a C20, would one ton be too much for it? What would a C20 comfortably carry? Must be able to carry a ton on an 8 lug truck. Worst comes to worst, I can haul palletized pellets on my trailer behind any of my trucks.

If this is something I'm going to do I would certainly have all new brakes, brake lines, shocks and wheel bearings. I always replace all that whenenver I buy an older vehicle. Either way, I do have to own a pickup, because the town I live in does not have curbside pickup, so I have to bring my garbage to the dump every weekend, and I don't want to carry it inside my suburban. Any time Ibuy a washer/dryer or some other big item, I don't want to have to hook up my trailer.