View Single Post
Old 05-14-2011, 08:28 PM   #2
Billhilly

Re: 41DegreesSouth Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERASER5 View Post
I presume you know there is a specific set of pulling tools for power steering pumps. Without the specific puller it is near impossible to remove the pulley without damage.

The interference really should be OK, unless the pump/pulley are mismatched by type. Once you are ready to re-install (presuming you are going to remove the pulley), get a can of spay duster. The kind you get to clean you computer key board. That "air" is not air, it is freon. Turn the can upside down and fog the pump shaft several times. This will freeze the shaft and shrink it. You can also spray the pulley hole. Freezing it will enlarge the hole. Yea, I know, that sounds wrong, but it is true none the less. Anyway, freezing both parts will reduce the interference as much as possible and make a tight fit at ambient temperature.

Great build. That is a lot of work to get right hand drive. Labor of love I suppose.

Yeah I figured there would be some puller to fit the 'grooves' on the pulley. Just a question as to whether I do the take it off thing, or the continue on thing. Don't know if I could find someone with that specific puller set down here.
I have some 'freeze in a can' stuff already. Might be able to get enough on the shaft/pulley as is. I'll consider that first.
I've certainly made the build as complicated as possible! Well it feels like that some days. Commited now (or should be commited!) so just have to finish it up now.