View Single Post
Old 05-15-2011, 05:34 PM   #31
theastronaut

Re: '65 Chevy C10 Long Fleet Retrospective Build Thread

Starting to detail the engine parts.

Bead blasted and repainted. After finding the green paint on the bellhousing, I did some research to find out what the original color for a 292 was. I saw some post on here saying that Alpine Green was very close so I went with that.

More parts added to the pile:

I took the original distributor apart, masked and bead blasted the body and sprayed it with satin clear. New vacuum cannister and cap make it look new.

Original carb before rebuilding/detailing.

After beadblasting:

I sprayed the throttle body with satin clear to preserve the bare cast iron look and dipped the aluminum body in PPG DX503 to recolor it. The hardware was bead blasted and painted.

Air filter lid repainted and new decal applied:

Detailed the starter:

The engine block painted and reassembly started. New brass freeze plugs installed (with all the stampings facing the same direction), engine mounts and clutch arm:

The timing cover reinstalled with new seals. Everything was taken of, bead blasted, and painted seperately to keep from getting paint on the hardware or seals- giving the engine a more detailed look.

Distributor and pushrod covers installed:

The trans repainted with a cast iron finish and bellhousing overspray matched to the original paint.

Valve cover repainted:

Repro decal, detailed hardware, new plugs:

Starter bolted back on.

New oil filter painted the Delco blue, reproduction decal applied.

Hard to see but I left the serial number pad bare metal.

I pulled the oil pan and dropped the engine down from the engine hoist long enough to remove the chains so I could paint the cylinder head. Let it dry and installed the plugs and valve cover. Ready to install back in the truck.

Last edited by theastronaut; 12-31-2012 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Fix dead pic links
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote