Thread: A/C layout?
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2011, 12:17 AM   #3
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

Re: A/C layout?

Finally! Someone that seems to know what they are talking about!

I see the tees in the lines... that's what I was thinking was "engineered". Guess not though. Took it to a local mom and pop mechanic shop today and the guy said I needed to update my lines to work w/the r134. He said with the tees and such it's going to leak no matter what. But he wouldn't touch it himself, and he even has a burb sitting in his back lot!

It's got the updated high/low fittings and a compressor shut off switch. I don't know if they changed the dryer or not.

I did get it to hold a charge for a little while, but it leaked down overnight. Blew cool, but not cold. Tried the dye stuff and couldn't see where it was leaking. That's pretty much when I gave up and started looking for someone to just fix it before the summer temps get here. But everyone I've taken it to so far says it's too old and it's more trouble than it's worth to work on. I did get a lead on another shop that might do it. Gonna give them a call tomorrow. If not, I'm gonna fix it myself even if it kills me (or maybe buck up and just buy a vintage air kit.)

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
'67 Chevy Big Window SWB- aka "Pearl"
'72 Burb- "Betty" "It's not a hearse dammit"
'99 Chevy Ext. cab Silverado
Riveted1 is offline   Reply With Quote