Thread: A/C layout?
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2011, 01:56 AM   #8
AzDon

Re: A/C layout?

I see a lot that I don't like the looks of.... Lets start with the first pic:
The line coming out of the top of the evap box is the low-pressure return line. Right where it comes out is where there is supposed to be the GM drier can (shiny aluminum looks like a 24oz beer keg.) The drier often has the low-pressure freon fitting and low-pressure cycling switch screwed onto it. In your pic, it appears to have been deleted and the switch and fitting put inline.
In the same pic, the smaller line goes into the bottom of the evap box. Where the line disconnects at the box is where you will find the orifice tube in metal tube going into the box. No orifice tube, no misting effect, no a/c!
As stated by others, all hose barbs should be the crimped type. Any hose that has 45 or 90 degree fittings on both ends will need to be pre-fit and marked for crimping because a/c hose cannot really be twisted much. Lastly, Sanden compressors look cool, but if you want good cooling at low RPMs and maximum cooling capacity, The stock GM A6 compressor is without peers! Your system, especially with dual units, is what the A6 is designed to run. I dont think a Sanden has enough capacity!
I'll assume that you have the stock condensor, which should be fine....

So to recap: Must haves:
1) the stock drier can
2)Clean orifice tube installed
3)high/low cutout switch install in high pressure line ( the small line entering the bottom of the box)
4) Low pressure service fitting between compressor and drier (or on drier)
5) High pressure service fitting between condensor and orifice tube connection
6) neatly laid out and properly crimped hoses

Good to have;
GM A6 (long style) compressor
Good luck

P.S. I'm gonna dig out my A/C book, so I can recommend it to you.... I'd also recommend getting the vintage air catalog, as it has a lot of good basic info. I'm gonna buy from Nostalgic Air next time, though, because I was mistreated when last dealing with vintage air.

Last edited by AzDon; 05-19-2011 at 02:07 AM.
AzDon is offline   Reply With Quote