Thread: swb 383
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2011, 01:04 PM   #9
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Re: swb 383

OK that's a different story . It's that first generation of "twisted wedge" CRAPOLA that has so many issues.

The second generation TFS head is (as mentioned) a clone of the GM bowtie Phase 6 head. I had some flow sheets / numbers for a LOT of heads but in this change to Windows7,, I lost a LOT of things too. (I'll keep looking)

The mid-lift flow numbers for the TFS and the GM PH6 were almost identical, but something as I recall was different up in the high lift range (.6+).... but the the Ph6 head went 260ish cfm @ .6 with a mildly ported 200cc port. That's pretty decent for a smaller port like that and (If I remember correctly) the mid-lift numbers were pretty decent too. I think those would be a nice package with a upper end street 383. And you have em ,, I agree build around them for now. But don't get married into components just to match the TFS heads,, keep future Faster faster faster changes in mind sp items will be interchangable on a better package

SO,,, You said solid roller,, so if it were me I'd follow the latest trend in cam design,, MASSIVE lift and moderate duration. You will need to find what max lift you can tolerate (both in the retainers / spring stacking etc.) and valve to piston clearance. Oh,, as a BTW... When you check VtP be SURE and check radial clearance in the pocket. I've been seeing / hearing of a rash of broken valves and finding witness where the valve pocket was not cut wide enough to accomodate a 2.05 and larger intake,, just a word of caution there).

Not knowing anything more than we see here so far... and assuming premium pump gas with a splash of VP red to 'juice' it up a bit for the track... here's what I'd look for to get you down into the 11's.. and,, JUST SO WE TARGET THE RIGHT et,, 11.49 and quicker,,, YOU WILL NEED A ROLL BAR, and a list of other safety items that will get deep in your pocket. So for now I'd target 11.5 and slower for ET.

I don't think that will be too hard with footbraking a 4500 pound flying brick. 575 to 600 flywheel HP should get you there.

I'd prefer a custom cam, but if you don't want to drop the $300 for the design service, I'd look for something in the .65 to .7" lift range with a standard .020 lash and keep duration DOWN as much as you can. There is where the design service will come in as it cam could be designed and cut to have nice soft ramps and not beat up on the valve train,, while keeping 0.050" duration down in the 255° range. Otherwise a shelf stock cam like the Crowers 00431 or 00432 and use a 1.6 rocker should work. Myself I'd use a shaft rocker system on it and have them built for 1.7:1 to get lift to .7,,, but that's another issue and adds $ in a big hurry.

I'd suspect you know 'street' with a 'true' mid-11 second small block in a 4500 pound truck is a novelity,, and not a daily driver motor. Well not unless you have realitives in the oil business
The faster you go the more things that move over to the 'consumable' list,, like valve springs, lifters, rockers, cam bearings, bla bla bla,,, it's a very slippery slope down the ET slip

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.

Last edited by Marv D; 05-30-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote