View Single Post
Old 06-02-2011, 06:04 PM   #288
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Re: Kabwe's aka Bam's build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Mike View Post
Kabwe is it easier to weld 16 & 18 gauge with a tig than a mig welder? Does it use a gas tank like a mig?
Mig welding is easier than tig, but tig is not as hard as people make it out to be. It just takes practice and you get better the more you do it. Yes it does use gas but not mig gas most tig welders use 100% percent argon. I say most because originally Helium was used and still is for some applications.

I like tig on body panels because the weld bead is softer than mig and you can really do great metal finish. It is not prone to crack from hammer and dolly work like with a mig weld. That being said all of my fab work was done with a mig because I did not have a tig they are expensive. I will be doing some stuff to the 55 Sedan in the future so most of the body will be tig welded. You can still do great work with mig welding its not necessary to have a tig, but they are great.

By the way tig eats a lot of shielding gas, because of your pre-flow(before you start your arc you let the gas flow a sec or two before starting your puddle) and post-flow (after your arc is stop you allow the gas to flow over the weld area to keep it from getting contaminated).

Last edited by Kabwe; 06-02-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote