View Single Post
Old 06-15-2011, 11:39 AM   #18
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Re: Bullet proof GM 12 bolt.

Its all about traction and shock loading.

If your expecting <1.3 sixty foot times,, I agree with the guys saying a 9" or Dana 60 is in order. But nothing is totally bullet proof. We are throwing a LOT of weight around with these trucks and if it hooks, it is going to find the weak link. The stock truck 12bolt with upgraded axles and C-clip eliminators, a spool, and every beefy trick available will hold up to a TREMENDOUS amount of abuse. Look t what Chris is doing and it's surviving (so far LOL). Heck, I've got a great friend running 10.teens in a 3200 pound 74nova with a 10bolt with just the normal upgrades (spool, Moser axles, welded tubes, c-clip eliminators, studs, back-brace cover etc) But he's foot braking with 60' times in the 1.28-1.33 range depending on track. By the same token, I exploded Strange and Dutchman axles with only 650HP,, destroyed a Nod-iron 9" centersection with Dyneer locker and all the goodie stuff with less than 600HP,,, a sticky slick and deep gears, and dead hooking WILL find the weak link,,, I promise you.

So anything will live if your easy on it. I would guess 700HP, foot braking, questionable traction you may be fine with beefing up the truck 12bolt with all the tricks and it live forever. And you may find traction is easier to hold launching on the motor, and bringing in the N2o somewhere after the 60' cone. THAT will go a long ways is making the drive-train survive. But add some 12" slicks, and a trans-brake, hosing it out of the hole, suspension tunning to <1.3 sixty foot times and I bet your wish list soon includes a Fab9housing, $1500 Strange Pro centersection with spool, 40 spline axles,, bla bla bla.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote