View Single Post
Old 06-28-2011, 10:33 AM   #20
SulphuriousSam

Re: Sam's Man Cave 66 Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy View Post
For bare metal areas, here's what I would do in the meantime:

When I CLR'd my truck, I found that GM used either red or black primer in certain areas. On mine, I found black on the bedsides and hood, and red primer on all the other parts. Take a good look at your areas that are bare and mimic the surrounding primer. Do a little prep on the bare areas and fog on some black or red oxide primer, lightly sand back the edges to blend it all in, and you're done. You can brush-touch any small bare metal nicks and do the same thing. You've got so much of that cool turquoise color to buzz it all off just yet.

Cover the bare areas, then CLR/scotchbrite. It'll look like a completely different truck. Who knows, you might like it so much that you'll go the paint store and buy a gallon of cheap satin clear and seal it up and be finished!!
Yeah if you look at the pics the upper part of the cab that was white looks rusted but a lot of that is actually red primer...mixed with rust

I plan on trying the CLR treatment regardless of the outcome anyway so maybe I can use your suggestion with the primer and see how it comes out. Daverod has the coolest looking patina and it's shockingly all or mostly fake so it can be done I'm just not very confident of my skills (well the lack of anyway) so worst case scenario is I screw it all up and have to paint

Part of the problem with running the patina, which I think looks cool, is that most folks in my area see that and think it's just another farmer driving around! People around here hear me talking about the patina look and give me some strange looks cause every other farmer is driving a 20 to 50 year old truck with "patina" and they just don't get that it has a following of sorts

I guess I'm just going to have to make sure you won't be able to mistake the sound and stance of this truck as a farmer's ride!

1966 C10 LWB, 283, 3 on the tree (lots of work to do!) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471348
2001 Suburban daily driver
2008 HHR (wife's ride)
SulphuriousSam is offline   Reply With Quote