View Single Post
Old 07-12-2011, 02:31 PM   #41
SulphuriousSam

Re: Sam's Man Cave 66 Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
I can offer a little input on the 3 deuces, although my only experience was with a 406 Ford intake on a 1963 Galaxie 390. It was simply the coolest intake system I ever owned. When dialed in properly they are great for a daily driver because essentially you’re just driving on the center two barrel. Mine took a lot of work to get it set up correctly, but with a 4 speed manual transmission I actually measured 18 mpg two or three times. Unfortunately I almost always found a “need” to use the outboard carbs which resulted in less than 5 mpg. It was like flushing a toilet. If I kept my foot in it long enough I could actually watch the gas gauge drop!

I would love to have 3x2’s again, but it is an expensive upgrade.

And here is a rather lengthy thread on the joys and issues of Thumpr cams. I'd like one of those as well:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ght=thumpr+cam
Hey Mark, thanks for the informative response!

The 3 x 2 just looks so cool! I know it's expensive which goes against the grain of my project goals...but if I could I would have one just for the coolness factor! Summit had one with all 3 carbs on it for only a couple grand! That's one way to take the "budget" out of my budget build

The Thumpr cam thread you found was really informative too. I'll have to ponder that one as well...

I think it's going to be very hard (and expensive) to get much out of the ole 283, but I can't seem to get past the old school coolness factor of having that original engine in there all shiny and tuned.

Anyway I really thank you for your input, I always enjoy your posts sir

1966 C10 LWB, 283, 3 on the tree (lots of work to do!) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471348
2001 Suburban daily driver
2008 HHR (wife's ride)
SulphuriousSam is offline   Reply With Quote