View Single Post
Old 07-30-2011, 09:50 PM   #14
capev86

Re: Carburetor options to consider?

Quote:
+1 on keeping the Quadrajet. great carbs for the small block chevys.
http://www.cliffshighperformance.com/parts.html

GM put them on nearly all it's muscle cars. why would you want to go to the trouble of adapting an edelbrock when they only flow like 600cm? most Q-jets flow 700cfm (there were some early big block 800cfm units) and the "spread bore" arrangement makes for great economy and throttle response as well as a big kick in the pants when those huge secondaries start gulping down air.

the original 2bbl rochester on my 72 burb c20 was giving me some issues. i pulled it in favor of an early 80's q-jet on top of an edelbrock performer intake (idle-5500rpm range) that i got cheap locally. i changed the corp/eaton 4.57 third member out for a 4.10 unit from a pickup and now that 307 - 3 on the tree combo runs great. i may change out the intake for a proper gm unit some day for a more factory look.

as for ways to spruce up your burb without affecting it's factory fresh look:

grab the 1-1/4 front sway bar from an 80's 2wd dually or camper special. the brackets on the frame and everything is a bolt in swap since the front suspension was used in the 73-87 generation (73-91 blazer and burb). awesome upgrade even if you truck already has a stock sway bar. i went with CPP bars because i wanted a matched set. but i will have to drill to mount the rear bar and the front one uses end links instead of u-brackets at the end of the bar.

the car and truck shop has an add on kit to add the factory tachometer and vacuum gages. gives you everything you need all brand new, except fittings and a hose to connect vac gage to the carb. got this setup in my truck and i love it!

if you have a 4.57, do yourself a favor and upgrade to the 10% softer 4.10. you don't lose much off the line but it will make a big difference on the highway. my engine now turns at 3k rpm at 60 and gas mileage went up from 10-11 to 14-15. you have a 350 w/ 4bbl and automatic. due to the slightly taller tires on a 3/4 ton it will be like running a 3.90 in a 1/2 ton.

i know the 200-4r is practically a bolt in swap for a th350 and i think the 700-r4 will fit in place of the th400. an overdrive trans will help fight those insane gas prices and make long highway drives nearly as comfortable as a modern truck. i wanted to keep my 3 speed column shifter stick, so i picked a 66-69 saginaw with the borg warner o/d unit in place of the tail cone. but i would have gone the above route if my truck were an automatic.

other things i have done on my truck....poly bushings from CPP (suburban body mount kit, bushings for the larger track bar on the 3/4 ton, improved style tie-rod adjusters that eliminate those stupid clamps, etc), synthetic fluids-mostly from Royal Purple, and braided stainless brake hoses for peace of mind.
capev86 is offline   Reply With Quote