View Single Post
Old 08-08-2011, 09:10 AM   #66
SulphuriousSam

Re: Sam's Man Cave 66 Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy View Post
The block looks good! Just keep those cylinders oiled up and the block bagged up until you're ready to start assembling it. It'll help keep it from rusting and also keep dirt out of it. If it's sitting on the garage floor, I usually set it on top of a couple of small pieces of 2x4s. The wood will wick up any moisture from the floor and be a good barrier between the floor and the block.

Does the crank still need to be turned? It looks clean, but I can see some coloring on the journals. Some shops will coat them with a waxy substance to protect the surface after turning, so maybe that's what I'm seeing.

I'm excited to see that little 283 go together! Great, dependable, smooth-running little engines.
Yeah the block, crank, & heads are all bagged up. Cylinders too. The block is on a stand and in it's out of the way nook in the shop so hopefully she'll last the week or two before I can assemble.

As to the crank, I'm not sure he did anything to it. I wasn't actually the one who took the block to the machine shop. The guys (friends at the shop) kind of did it, as a suprise, I suppose. And I don't know what they asked for but the reciept just listed vatting the block, installing cam bearings and freeze plugs. I will call and make sure they at least took measurements so I know what size bearings to get! Worst case scenario is I go ahead and take the crank back down there this week since I don't have the parts yet to reassemble it anyway.

1966 C10 LWB, 283, 3 on the tree (lots of work to do!) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471348
2001 Suburban daily driver
2008 HHR (wife's ride)
SulphuriousSam is offline   Reply With Quote