View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011, 01:05 PM   #104
Dan in Pasadena

Re: What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
I used the Mustang tank ring for fuel pickup only. I took the float off of it. For the gas gauge I use the stock chevy sender. By crazy luck the Mustang tank already had a circular rib in it on the top of the tank in one corner (see pic below). I used a hole saw to drill the tank then used the stock chevy rubber gasket and self tapping screws to mount it. I measured the depth of the mustang tank and bent the stock chevy sender arm in an 'S' shape by wrapping in half way around a large deep well socket in different directions until the float arm was shortened to the correct swing distance to match the mustang tank.

A little "igenuity-as-the-mother-of-invention, huh? VERY smart. I was about to make a wisecrack about "redneck" engineering but then I realized my Mexi-gineering (I'm latino) would have been to do it the exact same way
Personally, when I find a way to make something work like you did and then it ACTUALLY DOES work, I feel proud as a new papa!
Oh and PS: If ALL '70 Mustang tanks come with that place to install the Chevy sender that's a real good thing to know. Is yours a junkyard find tank? If so, its gotta be cheaper than all the aftermarket ones out there. I wonder if one of those would fit in my '55's frame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
...My only complaint about the springs is that they move the rear back some but not far enough to center the wheel in the opening so I have some 1/2" thick, 1" offset plates on it for now until I can get the springs re-drilled.
Would all this be rectified with the correct year bed? Do you prefer the flat-topped '54 bed over the earlier ones or did the truck come with it? I'm a '55.2 guy so I don't know all that much about the '47-'54's but are the fenders wider because of the year bed or are you running some kind of wider aftermarket fenders? Sorry for all the questions.