View Single Post
Old 10-17-2011, 08:57 PM   #33
mknittle

Re: Boxing a 47-53 1/2-Tips, Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelnolimit View Post
We don't recommend boxing in the entire rail for a couple reasons. First the rail doesn't flex that much, Its the stuff between the rails that allows the rails to flex. Second boxing the rails pushes all of your brake and fuel lines closer to your exhaust. Heat does not help fuel or brake systems. An x in the center of the chassis will reduce flex more than boxing the rails. We usually put an x under the cab and two pieces of tubing that create a triangle out back just in front of the rear suspension. A triangle cannot change shape unless one side is shortened or all three angles change. A square or rectangle can easily change shape without shortening one side, all you have to do is change the angles in the corners. A triangle is much stronger than than a square. An x is basically two triangles. But everyone is entitled to there opinions. This is my thought on the subject. Let me know how you guys feel. Happy cruising. Or building. Whatever stage your at, enjoy it.
Posted via Mobile Device
P.s. do you have any pics?

I am am going to box a section for support of suspension x members and triangulate the rest.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote