View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011, 03:11 AM   #11
Blake_H

Re: '86 Crew Cab - The Race Car Hauler

Minus a week due to illness, I have been working on this thing every night and weekend, but not to much to report. Got the harness out of the box and started routing it.

Ran into some minor issues. When you do an 8.1l and you don't want to cut the frame for a/c, you need to use the Workhorse brackets. But when you do that, and use a factory harness the pigtail for the alternator is too short. If I would have been thinking I would have mentioned that to Jim before he did the harness. Oh well, maybe next time. Which brings me to the first of many questions. Does anyone know where to get the tape that holds harnesses together?

I also got the brackets for bucket seats out of my parts Suburban.

And got them cleaned up and ready to be welded in.

That's not all. I have learned that I am not talented enough to bend steel fuel lines and have them turn out the way I wanted them. I spent a week and more money than I care to admit on steel lines before I gave up. Now my exhaust guy is going to do them for me.

And I have been trying to trim down the factory under hood harness and figure out what I need to keep and what I can get rid of. Not to mention degreasing 25 years of crud off of them so I can see what I have. I was a little surprised when I got them cleaned off. Several wires have no insulation on them. I guess the grease and dirt was keeping them from shorting out.

That's it for now.

Blake_H is offline   Reply With Quote