View Single Post
Old 11-26-2011, 02:59 PM   #22
special-K
Special Order

Re: 4x4 s10 1/4 ton to a full size 4x4 1/2 ton

Ok,I see. Well,there's a reason people choose to swap onto other frames. You will be on your own with design and fabrication to a high degree. As far as towing goes,the S10 rear is a stout downsized 1/2t rear and I doubt you'll be towing much in 4wd. I'd hope nothing heavy anyway. Stopping is a bigger concern than going where traction is bad. As far as springs go,you can beef them up. Not too much you can do with torsion bars up front,unless air bags could be fitted. It's been a while since a I looked at an S10 and I kinda doubt there is room. I have to agree,if you need more capacity than the S10 can handle you should just get a truck made to handle more. I had a '99 ZR2 and hauled some pretty good loads on a trailer,but it surprised me how easily the clutch would slip when maneuvering. I saw the claims they used to make for all the mid-size v3ehicles having 8,000# towing capacity,etc,and my first thought was that 8,000# would just push any mid-sized vehicle. If the manufacturer claims it can handle that much I think you are at the limit...in fact,I don't believe it. I think that's beyond the limit. I would never haul that much with an S10. I don't care what axles and suspension it had under it. I don't haul anything that weighs more than the tow vehicle.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote