View Single Post
Old 12-11-2011, 09:31 PM   #6
bighaas79

Re: Transmission Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory5000 View Post
I have a 2002 Olds van and the transmission is showing a p1811 code. That is a code that is set when it takes to long to shift and then it ups the pressure and you fell a hard shift. I have a good friend(my wife's cousin too) that is the service manager at our local GM dealership. He pulled the code for and I asked him would changing the fluid help. He told me not to even think about. it has 161K. He said that if I changed it, it would start to slip. I have never changed it so that is why he said not to. It will clean the clutch disc and that why it would slip.

I think it would be OK to change yours.
He should have known that there is a tsb out for this, to replace the pressure control solenoid. I've run into many of these and the pcs solenoid has taken care of it each time. When I replace them I change the fluid and the filter, regardless of mileage. I have never had a trans quit working right afterwords. Personally I believe the theory of not changing the trans fluid is a load of bull. Most that recommend not doing it have waited way to long and the damage was already done. Same with the fluid exchange. From what I have seen is the customer usually has known that something hasn't been right with the trans for a while, and fearing what it might cost, waits too long. It gets brought in for a service, and all of a sudden it doesn't work right anymore. I've gotten so I test drive the vehicle first so I know for sure exactly how it acts before the service. I have found that I find issues that already exist that won't be cured by the service and let the customer know, that way if the decision to go ahead and try it is in their hands, and I don't get blamed for it "all of a sudden doesn't work right anymore". As always though just my $.02
bighaas79 is offline   Reply With Quote