View Single Post
Old 12-12-2011, 09:58 AM   #28
72cheyenneman

Re: How much to expect to pay for a nice paint job?

For you guys who are using your trucks as daily drivers, $3,500 and change is not a bad price for a paint job. I'm painting my truck and the material ALONE, base coat & clear coat, cost me about $2,300. Yes, you do have to be careful who you take your car or truck to because I've been in this catch-22 myself. As particular as I am about my classic cars and trucks, I would like to get a good deal but I always go over cost in body work and paint. To do an extremely good job, let's face it--it costs big $$$ and these guys have the shop, tools, and know-how, and they want to be paid $40-$60 an hour (some more). Nobody wants to work for nothing, and I can't blame them. I'm far from being rich, but I do take my restorations seriously and know that I can't do it myself. To me, I wouldn't go to an eye doctor for a heart problem...that's how I view restoration work. The job would get done, but probably not to my satisfaction.

All's said, $3,500 for a paint job is really not a bad deal and actually kinda cheap, especially considering the cost of materials. I may be wrong, but I can't see them doing an A+ paint job for $3,500. I'd take daily driver to these folks, but not my classics.
72cheyenneman is offline   Reply With Quote