View Single Post
Old 12-18-2011, 11:02 AM   #31
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: How much to expect to pay for a nice paint job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 324matt View Post
So, i stopped by a mom.and pops body shop the other day here in my home town, and asked for a quote for a base coat/clear coat paint job. The old guy asked if i would be doing all the prep work, removing all of the door handles, chrome trim.ect ect. Ect.. And i said yes. I also said i would be having the truck media blasted all the way down to bare metal prior to paint. All rubber seals would be removed and everything.

So, the old guy lit himself a new cigarette, looked at me and said about $7,000.

I said.with me doing all the prep work? He said yep, if I have to prep it $10,000.

I respectfully said ok and thanks for his time and left.

I only paid half of that for the truck. Are you kidding me? I will buy all the painting equipment and take a 2yr course at the community college for $10,000.

Really?
Posted via Mobile Device

Good Luck with that course on body work and painting. We need more people in the world that will do work for the restoration people.

However, my bet is that you will find that the old "Pop", was not that far out into the weeds with his price quote. He is probably proud of his trade and has the experience to make the job done right. A $7000.00 paint job (Just the Paint work only) today is gobbled up by the cost of the material, the cost of what his guns and tools, and his years of experience. What is his overhead on his shop? Does he have a mortgage to pay at the end of the month, and does he have a family to feed while he is giving up his time to do the "ONE" large job instead of 10 little insurance jobs. Those insurance jobs take less time and for the most part the owners of the cars don't really care how good the job is, just so it is done so they can go trade the car off.

I see that you live in Illinois. If that is the Northern part of the state, a vehicle will not last very long due to the hard winters and the way a lot of people care for them with the heavy solt used on the highways. It is just a fact of life that part of the country destroys cars fast. I would also guess that the cost of living in your area is higher than what I or many of the rest of us have to deal with. If you live in Southern part of Illinois, life may be a little better, but it IS Illinois non the less. Been There, seen it, and not going back soon.

Once again Good Luck.

P.S. Try going to Earl Scheib or Maaco for a good paint job---AFTER you do the body work. They spray paint all day long and I am sure that they can do a fair job.