View Single Post
Old 01-07-2012, 07:08 PM   #16
special-K
Special Order

Re: Will shackle flip affect towing capacity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
If this were true, medium duty trucks leaf spring suspensions would be designed this way. But they're not. They're set up with the shackle under a mount, then the leaf spring. Just like a shackle flip. I haul with a shackle flip on my F-350 all the time and I'm going to bet it's more weight than 90% of the people on this truck board haul. On and off road, and these have been on there for 60,000 miles. 40,000 of those have had a heavy load on the truck or in it. We're talking a hay trailer with 6-8 round bales and a trailer that weighs 5500lbs empty. And this truck is lifted roughly 4" and has 33's. It weighs 7400lbs with a 1/4 tank of fuel and no fat guy in it. I also have sway bars front and rear, so she handles pretty well with a trailer on. I wouldn't be worried with a shackle flip and a small lift to tow.
Like I said,others will say they don't effect towing. I'm just saying I wouldn't. I just don't like the idea. Let me ask this,why do people do shackle flips? For off road they give better articulation and smoother ride. Well,where all that matters I won't be towing or hauling a heavy load,most likely. A heavy load smooths out a ride,right? That takes care of the ride. Articulation? I'm not towing anything where that matters and I sure think anyone who does will be putting those flip brackets to the test. That's just my opinion and how I would build something for towing. I generally build trucks for specific uses...fun play toys or work trucks,because I need my work truck to make a living. I can't break it up over the weekend,so that's where I'm coming from.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote