View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012, 02:19 AM   #11
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Re: Propane-powered big block GMC

that's strange i know a lot about it But hardly any one uses it do to how expensive it is to buy here4 on the west coast You know your only have a 20,000 mile engine.I have framers out in AZ and CA that have wells they pump water from for orange tree's I use to go buy and listen to the old men talk about the war women and other things.

They had 3 pumping stations 2 of them have 1 427 side oilier ford big block and the other 2 where chevys one was a 427 chevy and the small well had a 396.

I asked the old man when they sold the property what will happen to the engines He told me the ford engine was sold for 6,000 and the 427 chevy was undecided i asked the guy what about the 396 The old man said they where going to junk it I asked the guy is i could buy it for 50.00 so i got it

My uncial had a 1966 3 ton Bobtail that had a 366 in it It throw a rod 1 month after i bought the 396 My father asked if Tom could have the 396 So he paid me 300.00 for it.

My uncial tom said he was going to rebuild the 396 cause it looked like it was tired and was all greasy the valve covers where leaking the pan was the same.He wanted to go to a 4 bb crab instead of the 2 bb.

He opened that motor up and he was screaming into the phone All i herd was I hit the jack pot later he showed up with the engine token apart.

they took The mick tool to the crank and the block No wear Nothing not even a blemish in the bore the count meter and log book read over 15 years at running at 2500 - 3500 RMP's.

it was a 2 bolt main 9.1 compression He just put new head gasket back in and all seal and new rings Just a full on stock Over haul kit the cam was like brand new it had wear but nothing like a motor that ran for over 250,000 milers or more
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote