View Single Post
Old 03-13-2012, 08:06 PM   #17
A.T. RockDriller

Re: GMC 4000...? or 5000 series....Pictures...it's about time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by C10 - C90 Bill View Post
Real nice truck.

They made some 4000's with the Heavy Front Axel along with the Wider Fenders. I am curious to know what the GVW is. The 84" Inch WB (Wheel Base) cannot be correct. I would say the that 84" was the original CA (Cab to Axel). It sure looks like it was originally a Road Tractor. I am also curious to how you determined that is was "lengthened by the factory".

The truck sure reminds me of the '62 GMC 6500 I used to drive. It is even close to the same color.

BTW, I didn't see where you mentioned it anywhere, but your truck is a '66.

Bill
Bill....
Okay...here we go..
Yer right about em makin a few 4K series w/wide FF & ...etc ...etc.
The GVW tag says 19,500 ....
The rear axle spring-pack is 20,800 lb along with a "Aux Rear Spring " (unspecified capacity) ...But with the DOT maximum weight per 1" of tire width in contact with rd. at 600lbs per....it can weigh....21,600 (heavy permit), or 20,000 lbs..unpermitted on a Fed or most other hi-ways...
And the front's a 9,000 lb axle...although the tires are good fer 10,800 ( I think most scale masters would miss it ).....DOT .....
I think most guys would licence this....(commercially).. for 26,000 lbs...I never will..
Yer right about the CA measurement...
It sure is set up as a rd tractor....But with the rear axle having a 5.75:1/7.75:1 ratio....I gotta think it would never make it over about 50 mph....pushing it..But I'm sure it was pulled off the factory lot....late in the year....originally set up as a tractor...and because of the push to sell all the '66's prior to the new model '67's, soon to arrive, it was modified all to hell to fill the spec sheet for this sale. The bottom line is the PO implies that it was ordered and spec'd by her father as part of a larger purchase of GMC rigs fer their farm in Corbett, Or

As far as my theory....what I meant by the factory stretchin the frame....I meant a " Truck Body " fab company....prior to delivery....someone like ABC...or Leggit & Platt.....Powers...or.
It is sometimes a gray area or even a mystery what happens to fleet trucks at the end of the year....or worst yet...the Model change.....just to make it happen.
Now I'm tuckered out, Bill.
I'll post a few pic's and answer the rest later.
Thanks for the interest....You make it up here.....an you can drive that mutha till yer heart's contenttt.
Really.
'66 GMC 4000...351C, 5&2

Last edited by A.T. RockDriller; 03-14-2012 at 02:06 PM.
A.T. RockDriller is offline   Reply With Quote