View Single Post
Old 03-17-2012, 11:18 PM   #47
2fast55

Re: Needed a new toy. Why a Blazer? Why NOT a Blazer?!?!

Progress is again slow as usual, but I'm finally starting to get close to done prepping the tub for primer. I cut out the b-pillar areas from inside and replaced the rusted bits that are usually hidden, as well as the bottom few inches of the inner cover panel. The 2 bolts inside each pillar were rusted completely through.

I have also been scraping off the old DIY type bedliner that is all over the inside of this thing, working out some of the larger dents in the rear area, and welding up old holes that I won't be using.

I took a short break from metal work to buy all new top hardware and mount up the top to repair some big cracks in it. Every seam from the original construction had cracked from being dismounted and mishandled for an unknown amount of time before I bought it. As part of the repair process, I discovered that these things aren't actually fiberglass with a gel coat, but SMC (sheet molded composite) so I re-glued the seams with SMC adhesive, just like they were from the factory. Once I got it to hold its own shape, I hung it up out of the way so I could get back to working on the tub.

I also left my 400 block at the machine shop for a couple days to get cleaned and magnafluxed so I knew I had a decent start. Everything checked out, so I threw a little paint at it (custom mixed, way brighter than Chevy engine orange) and am waiting on more work so I can start the fun stuff.

I've got a 700r4 scattered all over the bench for another guy to put in his '54 Pontiac, and have been hearing of a few people looking for someone to paint their projects, so as soon as I get the 56 Chevy done, I might be able to pick up some good side work soon. Of course, race season starts soon too, so my weekends are about to get busy.

"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
- Albert Einstein

Last edited by 2fast55; 03-18-2012 at 11:36 AM.
2fast55 is offline   Reply With Quote