View Single Post
Old 03-23-2012, 11:23 AM   #18
made2drag

Re: 2 for 1, My son's first Square Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
Korbin posted the pictures of the changes to the bed to raise the floor 4". I made some 4" tall tubing spacers to raise the mounting of the bed floor. We will weld these to the frame and center them around the mounting holes. After much thought, I decided to cut the inner panels our of the bed sides. I took a 4" strip out of it at the top. In the pictures above, I just have sheet metal screws holding the sides to the flanges where they were spot welded together. By doing it this way, the sides are still bolted to the floor using the factory hardware and the tubs are still bolted in the same way as the factory did it. At the rear, the side is bolted and spot welded together, I cut the welds apart and then notched out the stake pocket to give me the 4" raised floor. I did have to make a couple of cuts in the light pocket area, but the taillight should still bolt in without any issues.

I need to do the other side and I will have the majority of the bed complete. The front bed panel is shot, the top edge is rusted through in a number of places. I have the ability through work to make a new panel on our CNC machines, so I will make on that is 4" shorter that bolts together in the factory places. I got the one side done in about 2 hours, I figure that not that I know what I need to do, I should be able to do it in an hour.

I will try to take some pictures when I cut the other side apart.
do you have anymore pics? i may be doing this this week, only 5 or 6 inches. i have done this on my 91 mazda b2200. im wondering if you did it the same way.
made2drag is offline   Reply With Quote