View Single Post
Old 03-24-2012, 01:01 PM   #30
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Re: Best sounding mufflers for a 327?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
you'll get more of a "race" sound by having a built motor $$$$ than any noise amplifying mufflers
Ditto
You cant compare one engine to the another, one muffler to another without them all having the same compression, same cam timing ( exhaust valve opening), same cylinder pressure, same header/exhaust tubing size.......
The exhaust sound you hear is the exhaust valve opening while there is residual pressure in the chamber and those spent gasses rushing out of the chamber at sonic speeds. Most performance cams open the exhaust valve somewhere 30-60° BEFORE the piston reaches the bottom of the stroke and the pressure on the piston is beyond any real 'power' potential. How much residual pressure is in the chamber when that valve opens is what determins what, how loud, and how 'thundering' the exhaust note is.

So to compare a 9:1 327 with a stock cam, to a 12:1 327 with a solid roller designed for 4000-8000rpm operation is going to be two totally different barks from two totally different animals,, no matter WHAT muffler you use.

Point I'm getting at is those who likes the sound of a Magnaflow on a hot-street 383 with 11+ compression,,, may be sorely disappointed in the same muffler on a mild, stock cam'd , low compression motor.

This is kind of like,,, I like classic rock ,, you like country. If we play it through a $10,000 sound system,,, your still not going to like my music.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote